Go Back   OutlawMuscle Forum > Training Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Training Forum Discuss anything related to training. Share your training strategy and technique.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:44 AM

Default triceps surgery

I had right hand triceps muscle-tendon junction partial tear 2 years ago, doctors sugested conservative management to get muscle back to normal function, after 2 years of struggle I got it back to maybe 50% strenght, I can do everyday working but not lifting, so i decided to try surgery.
Method is they wil ingraft my palmaris longus tendon to existing triceps tendon and connect it to long head triceps muscle.

Anybody had experiences with triceps tendon surgery?
Rehabilitation should be around 6-8 weeks with restricted movement, first two weeks totally outstretched arm, then week 2-4 only 30% arm flexion, then 4-6 week 60%.
I would like to hear the people who underwent surgery how they did rehab? when they started to go back to gym? when after to start with jucing? What should help best with atrophy, I belive after 8 weeks of restricted movment my arm will atrophy too much.

Thanks for advices.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:48 AM

I ruptured my left tricep tendon in June 2007... It was 85% off of my elbow....my DO convinced me to try therapy....after 10 months it was getting worse so I had the surgery...the surgeon pulled the tendon down and drilled a hold in my humerus and used some type of wire and ran it through the hole to hold the tendon down so it would adhere...I wore a sling for about 2 weeks and I was doing light training about 4 weeks later....I have to say that my tricep never looked the same....I had very big triceps and it never regained its size even though I was able to use the same weights and exercises in just a few months..I like to refer to it as if the surgeon filleted a slice of muscle off during the surgery...
Old 01-18-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
I ruptured my left tricep tendon in June 2007... It was 85% off of my elbow....my DO convinced me to try therapy....after 10 months it was getting worse so I had the surgery...the surgeon pulled the tendon down and drilled a hold in my humerus and used some type of wire and ran it through the hole to hold the tendon down so it would adhere...I wore a sling for about 2 weeks and I was doing light training about 4 weeks later....I have to say that my tricep never looked the same....I had very big triceps and it never regained its size even though I was able to use the same weights and exercises in just a few months..I like to refer to it as if the surgeon filleted a slice of muscle off during the surgery...
after 2 weeks you had full range of motion and light training? after how much did you start with normal things, like driving car?my surgeon said 8 weeks immobilization with flexion, it looks very long....how much time after you got full strenght? when did you start with normal training? did you do rehab alone ?
the size of triceps isnt important to me just to get strenght back.

thanks
Old 01-21-2020, 08:34 PM

I drove home from the surgery...the sling was gone in a week...I did take a lot of time off from training....something like 4 months....about 3 months of training and my strength was pretty much back...remember though I was 47 when I had the surgery....I was already getting weaker with age...