Go Back   OutlawMuscle Forum > Training Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Training Forum Discuss anything related to training. Share your training strategy and technique.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-01-2019, 12:43 AM
blacksheep115 blacksheep115 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 901
Default Shoulder pain/labrum tear?

Last thursday or Friday when I was doing flat bench it felt like I lost shoulder tension and my left shoulder semi popped out. Didnt hurt really but this whole following week I've had this nagging pain in it. Only hurts in certain instances and if I prop myself up on elbows when laying down. Googling the symptoms gives me labrum tears and that im dieing of some infectious disease of course.

My shoulder does pop when rotating arms but pretty sure that was the case beforehand. Does that sound like a tear? Anything I can do to verify and/or heal it? I'm on road for 3 weeks so gym will be minimal with maybe dumbells.
__________________
Sources with no probs so far:

Steroidify
UGfreak
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 AM
tmikes tmikes is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep115 View Post
Last thursday or Friday when I was doing flat bench it felt like I lost shoulder tension and my left shoulder semi popped out. Didnt hurt really but this whole following week I've had this nagging pain in it. Only hurts in certain instances and if I prop myself up on elbows when laying down. Googling the symptoms gives me labrum tears and that im dieing of some infectious disease of course.

My shoulder does pop when rotating arms but pretty sure that was the case beforehand. Does that sound like a tear? Anything I can do to verify and/or heal it? I'm on road for 3 weeks so gym will be minimal with maybe dumbells.
You may have knocked your bicipital tendon out of its groove. Is the pain youíre feeling up in front of your anterior delt?
__________________
www*RACETROPIN*com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-01-2019, 11:47 AM
blacksheep115 blacksheep115 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikes View Post
You may have knocked your bicipital tendon out of its groove. Is the pain youíre feeling up in front of your anterior delt?
Not really in front, more underneath. Best guess is right where anterior and lateral meet at the shoulder. I'm not very good with anatomy and physiology though. Biggest worry i got was reading and it saying if it was labrum problems they wont heal naturally?
__________________
Sources with no probs so far:

Steroidify
UGfreak
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-01-2019, 11:52 AM
fasterthenyoo fasterthenyoo is online now
Inner circle friend of the King
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep115 View Post
Not really in front, more underneath. Best guess is right where anterior and lateral meet at the shoulder. I'm not very good with anatomy and physiology though. Biggest worry i got was reading and it saying if it was labrum problems they wont heal naturally?
I would get it checked out to see. Mine was pretty messed up and had to be screwed back down into place, along with rotator cuff repair, and subacromial decompression or something like that.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-02-2019, 06:24 AM
mag1 mag1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 736
Default

Could be ac joint strain w bursitis.
Labral tear is pretty painful.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Uglyrichie Uglyrichie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 2
Default

Could be anything bicep tendon a.c. joint rotator so many things can go wrong in the shoulder he'll it could be ur neck . Go get x-rays it will some what narrow it down. IV had both AC joints trimmed and cleaned. Also with labrum they might not do anything depending on your age
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-2019, 11:19 AM
blacksheep115 blacksheep115 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 901
Default

Appreciate it guys. I'll grab an xray when I get back home. Still have 2 more weeks of business travel. Hopefully it's nothing big. I had shoulder stability issues when I was younger, it would literally pop out when I was asleep and be painful as shit but I havent had those issues in 10+ years.
__________________
Sources with no probs so far:

Steroidify
UGfreak
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-06-2019, 12:16 PM
MichHcky87 MichHcky87 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 625
Default

dont worry about imaging. it wont hurt, but it also really wont serve as much of a guide. any xray/mri of the shoulder really doesn't tell much. 8/10 people have "tears" on imaging, but can function 100% with little to no pain.

avoid any heavy OH exercises. grab some theraband and work internal/external rotation. note if there is any pain. if it is minimal, do 3x10 each. if pain increases, back off a little bit to a lower resistance. also work some shoulder flexion towel slides along the wall. again, back off if pain increases. id consult an orthopedic and they will almost for sure send you for imaging, but dont really take the results for "full value."

for time being, avoid weighted shoulder flexion, extension, abduction, internal/external rotation. you can try all these with therabands. there may be an inflammatory response, so dont be surprised if later in the day or next day you feel sore and achy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2019, 02:20 PM
PavelM PavelM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Default

Perhaps you have to change your shoulder exercises like in this article https://workoutme.com/shoulder-workouts-with-dumbbells?

Last edited by PavelM : 11-14-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2019, 11:08 AM
adjutant adjutant is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,795
Default

All these guys have great ideas/responses.

I had the same thing happen to me, except I was doing heavy inclines.

I ignored it, battled through until it was just too much.

I ended up with a partial labrum tear, compressed AC joint, and fucked biceps tendon.

Im an orthopedic rep (hips and knees). I was lucky to work with, and use the chair of orthopedic services at Memorial Hermann (Houston).

I told him that I wanted to avoid sutures/anchors at all costs. He ended up decompressing the joint (juncture really), and shaving the labrum, and shaving the biceps tendon. Basically removing the fluff off my affected tissues.

It tool me 3 months to get back on track. Sutures/Anchors would have been around 9 months.

An xray wont tell you anything unfortunately. Maybe the AC joint.

I would guess youll need to get an MRI and go under the knife
__________________
Chuck is a legend. He gave us legendary fights. He fought hard for a very, very long time against killers. He fought everyone, everywhere. He should be respected.

Was he the greatest of all time? No idea, it's an impossible standard. Who cares? He was awesome, and that should be enough.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-16-2019, 01:55 PM
bannisterboy bannisterboy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 327
Default

Best bet is to see a good orthopedist. They can likely diagnose you without imaging and/or scans. I had a minor labrum tear in my left shoulder about 5 years ago and the pain felt similar to what you are experiencing. It was a dull ache at first and I felt it underneath my chest and in my upper back in the rhomboid area. Went to see a good orthopedist and with just a few movement tests he diagnosed a minor labrum tear. I wore a sling for 3 weeks and avoided lifting with my left arm during that time. I started light lifting again after the sling came off and made full recovery a month after that. I hope yours is similar situation. Best luck!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-20-2019, 12:25 AM
blacksheep115 blacksheep115 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 901
Default

So got back after my 3 week trip and no lifting during the 3 weeks. Shoulder pain was gone but still made some bad popping sounds. This week i've done some light exercises and only thing that seemed to cause some discomfort some tricep rope push downs. It almost felt it could of been a tendon popping near the front delt. Tonight I did some shoulder exercises and had no pain except I attempted to do a pullup and the shoulder was weak/uneven to the other when trying to pull up.

I've done all the self tests I can find on youtube and I don't have any pain, just that one tendon or spot sometimes when i was doing those rope push downs. I got some bad grinding in my neck too. Only other thing that stood out was when i was doing lateral raises it seemed like my grip was weak too, not really the shoulder.

I am off next week as well for a hunting trip and was thinking about seeing a chiropractor for neck/shoulder blade while away. What do you guys think? I am trying to make an appointment with an orthopedic the following week when i get back home. I got HSA funds to spend so thought maybe a chiropractor visit wouldn't hurt? or Would it?
__________________
Sources with no probs so far:

Steroidify
UGfreak
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-20-2019, 01:23 AM
tmikes tmikes is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep115 View Post
So got back after my 3 week trip and no lifting during the 3 weeks. Shoulder pain was gone but still made some bad popping sounds. This week i've done some light exercises and only thing that seemed to cause some discomfort some tricep rope push downs. It almost felt it could of been a tendon popping near the front delt. Tonight I did some shoulder exercises and had no pain except I attempted to do a pullup and the shoulder was weak/uneven to the other when trying to pull up.

I've done all the self tests I can find on youtube and I don't have any pain, just that one tendon or spot sometimes when i was doing those rope push downs. I got some bad grinding in my neck too. Only other thing that stood out was when i was doing lateral raises it seemed like my grip was weak too, not really the shoulder.

I am off next week as well for a hunting trip and was thinking about seeing a chiropractor for neck/shoulder blade while away. What do you guys think? I am trying to make an appointment with an orthopedic the following week when i get back home. I got HSA funds to spend so thought maybe a chiropractor visit wouldn't hurt? or Would it?
What youíre describing is what I stated in post #2. I feel it could be your bicipital tendon. Tons of individuals have them out do to various ways of knocking it out.
__________________
www*RACETROPIN*com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-20-2019, 01:52 AM
blacksheep115 blacksheep115 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikes View Post
What youíre describing is what I stated in post #2. I feel it could be your bicipital tendon. Tons of individuals have them out do to various ways of knocking it out.
Is that something that can be fixed without something major? I did watch some youtube videos after your post and tried "rolling" it back in once i could feel the tendon popping. Worth seeing the chiropractor?
__________________
Sources with no probs so far:

Steroidify
UGfreak
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-20-2019, 02:02 AM
tmikes tmikes is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep115 View Post
Is that something that can be fixed without something major? I did watch some youtube videos after your post and tried "rolling" it back in once i could feel the tendon popping. Worth seeing the chiropractor?
Yes, the right chiro will be able to put the tendon back in itís groove if indeed thatís the issue. Most chiroís only work on the neck and back. Youíll want to find an extremity specialist whoís able to align your arches (plantar fasciitis) is fixable, cuboid bone(outter foot), talus bone (foot), knees, hips, ribs, collar bones, elbows, wrists and such.

Been going to my guy for 28yrs and just recently found a chiro in South Florida whoís able to perform what I mentioned above without me having to go home to see my guy whoís spoiled me over the years. Been to 6 different ones in 17 years down here with no luck. Until about 8 months ago. BTís are easily knocked out by sleeping with your arm extended under a pillow, bar tenders typically have this issue while reaching too far (getting glasses for overhead rack).

If indeed itís the issue, your shoulder, chest and bicep aren't firing correctly, thus hindering your gains. The medical world will describe it as a rotor issue, which itís not.
__________________
www*RACETROPIN*com
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-20-2019, 02:09 AM
blacksheep115 blacksheep115 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikes View Post
Yes, the right chiro will be able to put the tendon back in itís groove if indeed thatís the issue. Most chiroís only work on the neck and back. Youíll want to find an extremity specialist whoís able to align your arches (plantar fasciitis) is fixable, cuboid bone(outter foot), talus bone (foot), knees, hips, ribs, collar bones, elbows, wrists and such.

Been going to my guy for 28yrs and just recently found a chiro in South Florida whoís able to perform what I mentioned above without me having to go home to see my guy whoís spoiled me over the years. Been to 6 different ones in 17 years down here with no luck. Until about 8 months ago. BTís are easily knocked out by sleeping with your arm extended under a pillow, bar tenders typically have this issue while reaching too far (getting glasses for overhead rack).

If indeed itís the issue, your shoulder, chest and bicep aren't firing correctly, thus hindering your gains. The medical world will describe it as a rotor issue, which itís not.
Appreciate it! I'll start there since i got nothing to lose.
__________________
Sources with no probs so far:

Steroidify
UGfreak
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-20-2019, 11:09 AM
tmikes tmikes is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep115 View Post
Appreciate it! I'll start there since i got nothing to lose.
When you call, Iíd ask the question of what I have stated above. Can they align all those things. Iíd sell them on youíve been to a couple other chiroís who said they could, but actually couldnít once they got you in the office. Disappointing. That way theyíll feel you know and theyíll be less likely to lie to you.

Make sure they take X-rays too. Some donít I kid you knot.
__________________
www*RACETROPIN*com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-21-2019, 12:18 AM
TheEagle TheEagle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Chiropractors are a scam! I highly doubt they will be able to resolve your issue. I wouldn't waste time on guess work with chiros. You can palpate your long head bicep tendon yourself if that is specifically not tender then its not your issue.

I would recommend that you see an experienced Orthopedist. I would not be doing anything heavy like you used to during workouts in order not to aggravate it even more, instead do gentle sophisticated physical therapy for 5-6 weeks and see if its resolved.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-21-2019, 05:57 AM
tmikes tmikes is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEagle View Post
Chiropractors are a scam! I highly doubt they will be able to resolve your issue. I wouldn't waste time on guess work with chiros. You can palpate your long head bicep tendon yourself if that is specifically not tender then its not your issue.

I would recommend that you see an experienced Orthopedist. I would not be doing anything heavy like you used to during workouts in order not to aggravate it even more, instead do gentle sophisticated physical therapy for 5-6 weeks and see if its resolved.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
You have absolutely no clue. I understand your skepticism, though. While I agree ďmostĒ are quacks because all they were taught in their studies were to align your neck and back. Everything starts with the alignment of your feet and upward. I seriously donít understand why they wouldnít have it in the curriculum when studying for their degree.

With continued education and an emphasis on extremities, everything Iíve mentioned above can be aligned with the right chiro. Iíve only knocked out my bicipital tendon one time in the 28 yrs since Iíve been going to my original Chiro. Iíve knocked it out twice on my right arm in the last 6 weeks. Picked up a bad habit. It took me 17 years to find a chiro here in SFL, but I did. Heís put it back in both times. I go every 3-4 weeks for an adjustment. EVERYONE needs it, just donít know they need it.
__________________
www*RACETROPIN*com
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-21-2019, 06:02 PM
Vin Deezyzzl Vin Deezyzzl is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikes View Post
You have absolutely no clue. I understand your skepticism, though. While I agree ďmostĒ are quacks because all they were taught in their studies were to align your neck and back. Everything starts with the alignment of your feet and upward. I seriously donít understand why they wouldnít have it in the curriculum when studying for their degree.

With continued education and an emphasis on extremities, everything Iíve mentioned above can be aligned with the right chiro. Iíve only knocked out my bicipital tendon one time in the 28 yrs since Iíve been going to my original Chiro. Iíve knocked it out twice on my right arm in the last 6 weeks. Picked up a bad habit. It took me 17 years to find a chiro here in SFL, but I did. Heís put it back in both times. I go every 3-4 weeks for an adjustment. EVERYONE needs it, just donít know they need it.
Absolutely brother. So many problems start at the feet. Feet, ankles and calves hold a ton of tension and create a ton of problems higher up.
__________________
this is all hypothetical of course
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-23-2019, 12:37 AM
TheEagle TheEagle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikes View Post
You have absolutely no clue. I understand your skepticism, though. While I agree “most” are quacks because all they were taught in their studies were to align your neck and back. Everything starts with the alignment of your feet and upward. I seriously don’t understand why they wouldn’t have it in the curriculum when studying for their degree.

With continued education and an emphasis on extremities, everything I’ve mentioned above can be aligned with the right chiro. I’ve only knocked out my bicipital tendon one time in the 28 yrs since I’ve been going to my original Chiro. I’ve knocked it out twice on my right arm in the last 6 weeks. Picked up a bad habit. It took me 17 years to find a chiro here in SFL, but I did. He’s put it back in both times. I go every 3-4 weeks for an adjustment. EVERYONE needs it, just don’t know they need it.

Trust me mate: there's a reason why chiropractors are not called doctors. I know what you are talking about. What you are describing is called kinetic chain in medical terms. Think logically if the muscle/tendon/ligament is not functioning properly, how and in what way will simple cracking/stretching of the joint help? Anyway not here to hijack the thread and go back and forth, but draw your own conclusion here: maybe you are missing something. Nice font by the way
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-02-2019, 01:09 AM
blacksheep115 blacksheep115 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 901
Default

Made it to chiro, he spent maybe 15m with me. I told him my issues with shoulder and also with neck grinding. He did an adjustment which felt great but i honestly don't think it did anything for me. Everyone tells me it will take a couple visits for it to do any difference but no clue how i would make it couple times a week and work. Making an appointment with an orthopedic this week.
__________________
Sources with no probs so far:

Steroidify
UGfreak
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.