Go Back   OutlawMuscle Forum > Nutrition Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Forum Discuss anything related to dieting and supplementation.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:57 AM

Default More Food and less supplements.

I regularly get asked what supplements to take if gaining muscle is the goal. The truth is, supplementation is one of the last things you should be thinking about if you want to gain muscle. Compared to effective training and nutrition, even the most scientifically validated supplements have a minimal effect on your progress [1].
-
With that said, if your diet does not provide sufficient amounts of certain nutrients that are beneficial for muscle growth, supplementation can help. As you can see if you swipe left, only a few supplements are in most people effective for *slightly* increasing muscle growth.
-
First, we have the most obvious one, whey protein. If you are not able to consume close to 1.6g/kg body weight of protein per day of protein, supplementing with whey protein can help you gain more muscle [2].
-
Then we have 3 ergogenic (performance-enhancing) supplements. Supplementing with creatine, caffeine, and citrulline likely will help most people perform better in the gym [3-5]. Better performance ultimately leads to greater training adaptations.
-
Again, none of these supplements are necessary to get great results. As a general recommendation, use supplements whenever necessary to fill a "gap" in your diet, but try to spend most of your energy on improving your training and nutrition.
-
References:
1. Evidence-based recommendations for natural bodybuilding contest preparation: nutrition and supplementation
2. A systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression of the effect of protein supplementation on resistance training-induced gains in muscle mass and strength in healthy adults | British Journal of Sports Medicine
3. International society of sports nutrition position stand: caffeine and performance | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text
4. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: creatine supplementation and exercise | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text
5. Citrulline malate enhances athletic anaerobic performance and relieves muscle soreness. - PubMed - NCBI
Old 05-21-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillagraybeard View Post
I regularly get asked what supplements to take if gaining muscle is the goal. The truth is, supplementation is one of the last things you should be thinking about if you want to gain muscle. Compared to effective training and nutrition, even the most scientifically validated supplements have a minimal effect on your progress [1].
-
With that said, if your diet does not provide sufficient amounts of certain nutrients that are beneficial for muscle growth, supplementation can help. As you can see if you swipe left, only a few supplements are in most people effective for *slightly* increasing muscle growth.
-
First, we have the most obvious one, whey protein. If you are not able to consume close to 1.6g/kg body weight of protein per day of protein, supplementing with whey protein can help you gain more muscle [2].
-
Then we have 3 ergogenic (performance-enhancing) supplements. Supplementing with creatine, caffeine, and citrulline likely will help most people perform better in the gym [3-5]. Better performance ultimately leads to greater training adaptations.
-
Again, none of these supplements are necessary to get great results. As a general recommendation, use supplements whenever necessary to fill a "gap" in your diet, but try to spend most of your energy on improving your training and nutrition.
-
References:
1. Evidence-based recommendations for natural bodybuilding contest preparation: nutrition and supplementation
2. A systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression of the effect of protein supplementation on resistance training-induced gains in muscle mass and strength in healthy adults | British Journal of Sports Medicine
3. International society of sports nutrition position stand: caffeine and performance | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text
4. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: creatine supplementation and exercise | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text
5. Citrulline malate enhances athletic anaerobic performance and relieves muscle soreness. - PubMed - NCBI

Itís not protein per bodyweight, itís for LBM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:36 PM

^^^ I used to agree with the protein needed for LBM only, the theory is fat does not need protein, the only problem is fat has an effect on calorie utilization, so I really don't know what to believe......10 pounds of muscle would burn 50 calories in a day spent at rest, while 10 pounds of fat would burn 20 calories.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:20 PM

I don't buy into all that supplement hype. Most of it is a waste of money. Eat!
Old 05-22-2019, 09:43 AM

Agree^^^^^ except for the proven few. Creatine and whey are the only ones that have personally helped me achieve maintainable results. When it comes to growth, there is no substitute for quality and nutrient dense foods. All the AAS and supplements in the world wonít do shit if proper nutrition is missing...Redrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmass1 View Post
I don't buy into all that supplement hype. Most of it is a waste of money. Eat!
Old 05-22-2019, 07:04 PM

I like creatine and glutamine. I like a few protein powders, but I'm picky. I hardly ever use any of them. I might during a hard run with harsh drugs where I know my appetite well be hindered, that's really it. They can help in some circumstances, but especially in a growth phase, nothing beats good food.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:15 PM
Euroking Rep

I don’t overthink this stuff

Train hard but smart; efficient and effective

Less is more

Less time in the gym more time at the dinner table :0)

Stimulate (train) eat (food) rest (recuperate & grow)

As it’s said: “I’d rather have a good day of eating than a good day of training “

Mack

DISCOUNTED Genshi DP MAHA KALPA SEE WEBSITE

*New Shipping = No source is faster*
Old 06-13-2019, 04:52 AM

Glad to see that more people are opening their eyes everyday
Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 PM

I went to one of those pro BBer seminars many years ago and Mike Matartozzo would answer most every question about training, growing and suplimentation with the same answer "eat more food" .
Old 06-15-2019, 12:04 PM
Donating Member

Pretty much the only supplements I take are for overall health, whey protein and creatine. I just have a hard time getting enough protein without 1 or 2 shakes a day. And per serving its relatively inexpensive.