Go Back   OutlawMuscle Forum > Training Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Training Forum Discuss anything related to training. Share your training strategy and technique.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:06 AM
Inner Circle Friend of the King

Default 5x5 or 5/3/1

I致e been tossing back and forth about these two programs to make sure my foundations are secure and go from there. I知 leaning towards. Doing 5x5 for a good six month or so. And then possibly doing 5/3/1 after that. I知 newer the the gym, a late bloomer you could say, I知 31 and have around a year of lifting experience. Never really put enough discipline and effort to a program though but as my motivation grows and my sights set on the bigger picture and future I知 going to start I believe the 5x5. I値l do my best to log and get as much detail as I can for other users. I am curious of thoughts and previous experiences with this as well. Thanks for any input. Stay safe and smart fellas and ladies
Old 01-30-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch CT View Post
I致e been tossing back and forth about these two programs to make sure my foundations are secure and go from there. I知 leaning towards. Doing 5x5 for a good six month or so. And then possibly doing 5/3/1 after that. I知 newer the the gym, a late bloomer you could say, I知 31 and have around a year of lifting experience. Never really put enough discipline and effort to a program though but as my motivation grows and my sights set on the bigger picture and future I知 going to start I believe the 5x5. I値l do my best to log and get as much detail as I can for other users. I am curious of thoughts and previous experiences with this as well. Thanks for any input. Stay safe and smart fellas and ladies
Never done the 5/31 but try to do atleast 9 weeks of 5x5 per year(just how my spreadsheet is set up). First couple weeks are easy but by time your into week 6 it gets heavy.

Steroidify
UGfreak
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Old 01-30-2020, 08:45 PM

I've been doing a version of 5x5 and 5/3/1 for 30 years....it went like this for benching: week 1 was 135x10, 225x5, 275x5, 315 for 3 sets of 5...week 2 I would go up to 365 for 3x3...week 3 was 135x10, 225x5, 275x4, 315x3, 365x2, 405x1 then week 4 was 225 3x10....of course this wasn't all year but I would do it for 3-4 straight months while cycling....when off of AAS I would do the same workouts with less weight....I am now 60 and last summer while cycling I started with the bar for 10, 135x5, 185x4, 225x3, 275x2, 315x1....getting old sucks!...
Old 02-03-2020, 11:05 AM

Think I知 sticking with the push pull legs for now I guess maybe split the year into thirds or quarters and program change at that time.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Think I知 sticking with the push pull legs for now I guess maybe split the year into thirds or quarters and program change at that time.
I always broke my years up into 10 week cycles....
Old 02-07-2020, 08:51 AM

I usually break my cycles up into 6/6/6 or 4/4/8 weeks.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:58 PM

You may laugh but one reason I broke my training into 10 week cycles is because I was a special Ed teacher for 32 years...each grading period was 10 weeks....I would determine what they could do academically and set 10 week goals ending with a test just like a meet...I was once asked by a principal what my plan was and I said I use a teaching form of progressive resistance....lots of easy reps but getting more difficult each week...the kids liked it...I always got very high academic growth scores for years..then we got a ten week summer break.........
Old 02-13-2020, 01:09 PM

Well koolio that makes sense then since you had that schedule to go off of and make it easier to track and remember.i jut startedthe5x5 program, tomorrow will be the end of my first week. I am going to start a log if I can find the right thread and track my progress. I put it in the beginner section but believe it痴 not the right spot for it.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:20 PM

Default Log

I'm interested in seeing your progress. I started a 5x5 routine myself. Squatting 3x a week is the core of it
Old 02-17-2020, 05:50 PM

I知 running a log in the anabolic forum discussion. I値l do my best with information there. I put some photos up, and will do monthly or so to show progress. If you have any insight or opinion you壇 like to throw in it痴 appreciated. Go check it out. And yea squatting 3x a week I知 enjoying as it gives a lot of time to get proper form and stuff down. Plus my legs are one of my strongest parts so I love doing it so much. How many weeks are you going to run your 5x5 for
Old 02-18-2020, 02:47 PM

I'll probably run it for 5 weeks. I'm coming off a long break so many figured go back to the basics. I'll probably throw in some conditioning on the off days to help stay lean
Old 02-18-2020, 08:59 PM

Yea I致e been off for 4-6 months as well. And taking the exact same approach did some abs and minor cardio for a little bit today to help burn some of the BF I added while out of the gym
Old 02-18-2020, 09:28 PM

I throw in some auxiliary work on Saturday as well
Old 02-21-2020, 02:43 PM

Idk man. I tried today 5x5.
Since i have a shoulder injury i did hack squats instead of squats and smith machine bench. rack pulls instead of deads.
Feels like im gonna tear something if I keep doing.
I may be too old, but i do feel fucking good after post workout eating today.
Chest was 3 plates a side on smith, hack was 4 plates a side, and racks were 4 plates a side. Not sure about my strength at 220lbs but all i could get was 5 clean reps for 5 sets, but 5th rep was hard. Hacks killed me!
Old 02-21-2020, 08:31 PM

Default Age

How old are you? I'm 45 and I'm struggling as well. We will see how it goes
Old 02-22-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankobianco View Post
How old are you? I'm 45 and I'm struggling as well. We will see how it goes
Right about where u are and currently 200mg test a week
Old 02-23-2020, 05:00 PM

I seem to be responding fairly wel from this program so far, a little sore but nothing that痴 unmanageable when the next workout comes, the legs are what stays sore the longest but I致e been able to get all reps and set fairly easily and using 90 second rest in between. I downloaded the 5x5 StrongLifts pp on my phone so it tracks all my workouts and rest times which is way easier than logging into a notebook day after day. Good luck guys, stay safe Nd keep pushing I am also a bit younger than you both, I知 31
Old 05-17-2020, 04:04 AM

Whenever I have long breaks from working out, I usually jump on ice cream fitness 5 x 5. Its basically 5 x 5 with auxiliary 3 x 8 workouts. After a few weeks, it builds into a lot of volume so preps my body well to jump into a new routine.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2020, 07:09 AM

I'm not a fan of 5x5. It seems like a waste to me.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:06 PM

5x5 always worked well for me for strength increases (not amazing), and body recomp.

I "thicken up" nicely on 5x5, but, for me, I cant do it without a training partner.

So, its gone the way of the dodo bird in my routines

Was he the greatest of all time? No idea, it's an impossible standard. Who cares? He was awesome, and that should be enough.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjutant View Post
5x5 always worked well for me for strength increases (not amazing), and body recomp.

I "thicken up" nicely on 5x5, but, for me, I cant do it without a training partner.

So, its gone the way of the dodo bird in my routines
There are plenty of methods that work way better.

My training method works great on everyone that I coach.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I got into the gym game a little later as well but come from a coaching background.

In my opinion a year in, 5 x 5 isn稚 going to be the best fit. That rep range in my opinion is building pure strength. Unfortunately it would be building strength on a relatively minor foundation. No offense there.

Take a year to build within with 8-12 range. Not to say you can go into the 5-7 range, that is still important.

Having worked with upwards of 1,000 folks in my tenure (currently 34) , taking the time to get the reps, get the volume, build size, build a frame that you can place the heavier work onto, taking the time to ensure shoulder health etc, is well worth it.

You池e more apt to look exactly how you壇 like to in 5 years by moving slow, learning the movements, and eating and working your ass off, by working higher rep ranges (5 x 8 is brutal) for most your first year (or Hell maybe the whole career), than by jumping into a 5 x 5 or a 5/3/1. I love 5/3/1 but I didn稚 touch it until probably year 5?

Anyhow, many may object, but patience and grunt work are the key.

Cheers
Old 05-24-2020, 12:06 PM

I finally was able to get a power rack, flat bench, and 300 pound weight set for my garage...after 2 months of doing nothing...I started with 185 5x5, then 205 5x5, and yesterday 225 5x5...I think I will stick progressive overload for a few more weeks for sets of 5...then drop down to 3x3 for awhile...
Old 05-24-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
I finally was able to get a power rack, flat bench, and 300 pound weight set for my garage...after 2 months of doing nothing...I started with 185 5x5, then 205 5x5, and yesterday 225 5x5...I think I will stick progressive overload for a few more weeks for sets of 5...then drop down to 3x3 for awhile...
I do a 5x1 day every other workout for some people i train with 5x5 program, so really im teaching them 5x5 and 5x1. So if your doing bench with the weight your working at now id have you do set of 5 at 195, 205, 215, 225, 235 for example. I always like the 4th 5x1 set to be the same as the 5x5 previous workouts weight then push it on the last work set.

Last edited by booms : 05-24-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:17 PM
Biker/Bowhunter Moderator

I've always liked the 5x5 program but for years now I've changed it to 3 sets of 5 as I've gotten older and with all the injuries I've had. Plus only doing 3 sets it's allowed me to do heavier weight with I like and see good gains from it.................11

DONT ASK ME SOURCE RELATED QUESTIONS. PERIOD

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishing with the man, what Im saying is, he comes near me I'm puttin him against the wall.