Go Back   OutlawMuscle Forum > Training Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Training Forum Discuss anything related to training. Share your training strategy and technique.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:41 PM

Default Prepping for my first meet

Ok guys so I have surgery in 11 days and then I will working on getting ready to start my meet prep on feb 26th. My meet is May 26th and I will working towards a shitty total (lololol). I haven't trained squats that heavy recently due to some injuries and my deadlift grip strength is pretty shitty. I'm hoping to hit 551/331/606. I will post a log after every training session that involves bench/squat/deadlift.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:18 AM

Farmers walks for the grip strength. I swear by them. One of the gyms I go to has farmers tubes I can load up with plates. The other gym doesn't so I just get the 125lbs DB's and walk around with those. All too often guys use straps for everything which is a no-no unless you're overloading for things like shrugs, but even then I won't use straps. You're only as strong as your weakest link and once you get your grip strength up, you'll notice lifts like the bench press will also go up. No joke.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Farmers walks for the grip strength. I swear by them. One of the gyms I go to has farmers tubes I can load up with plates. The other gym doesn't so I just get the 125lbs DB's and walk around with those. All too often guys use straps for everything which is a no-no unless you're overloading for things like shrugs, but even then I won't use straps. You're only as strong as your weakest link and once you get your grip strength up, you'll notice lifts like the bench press will also go up. No joke.
I lift at a shitty ass gym. They don't have any of that.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:43 PM

Today was a really light squat day with some grip training on deadlifts. I pulled heavy 2 days ago with straps so today I pulled 405, 425, 435 and 455 with chalk. I had more in the bank but I'm playing it smart since I'm 20 weeks out.
I did 225 3x3 squats (40% of my 1RM), some leg presses, hamstring work and calf raises.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:36 PM

This past week I decided to change it to compete in the raw w/o sleeves or wraps division. I worked up to an easy double with 495x2 without straps and I worked to an easy single at 305 on bench and 445 with a chambered bar on squats.

Last edited by ohnoudidnt : 01-19-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:18 AM

Easy to work grip without any special equip bro...Framers walk handles we used to have were awesome as we could do deads walks etc but you can also hold your last rep for as long as possible or even on a diff day as long as its far enough away from reg deads say after squat you can load up bar woith well over your max do a slight rack pull of few inches out of a power rack and hold it for couple sets of max time... Working forearms and biceps also will help as well as prevent torn bi's atleast i believe so.. As far as grip goes you should be fine to get that back by couple months...Unsure hwat surgery your having but remember despite the meet first thing is be safe so you don't rush things and have to start all over again... Hope you heal up well and get those numbers easy bro...
Old 01-20-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKong View Post
Easy to work grip without any special equip bro...Framers walk handles we used to have were awesome as we could do deads walks etc but you can also hold your last rep for as long as possible or even on a diff day as long as its far enough away from reg deads say after squat you can load up bar woith well over your max do a slight rack pull of few inches out of a power rack and hold it for couple sets of max time... Working forearms and biceps also will help as well as prevent torn bi's atleast i believe so.. As far as grip goes you should be fine to get that back by couple months...Unsure hwat surgery your having but remember despite the meet first thing is be safe so you don't rush things and have to start all over again... Hope you heal up well and get those numbers easy bro...
Tonsillectomy, nothing serious. We don't have anything other than barbells. I usually do static holds after my heavy reps.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoudidnt View Post
Tonsillectomy, nothing serious. We don't have anything other than barbells. I usually do static holds after my heavy reps.
ok cool...shouldnt affect anything i was thinking something serious was like how the hell is he going to pull this off lol... Ya and holds should def help with grip easily.. if anything add em when your fresh if they dont improve...but im betting by meet time you should be good.. ill follow this so keep us posted!!!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKong View Post
ok cool...shouldnt affect anything i was thinking something serious was like how the hell is he going to pull this off lol... Ya and holds should def help with grip easily.. if anything add em when your fresh if they dont improve...but im betting by meet time you should be good.. ill follow this so keep us posted!!!
Since I'm competing in bare knee my goals are now 507/331/551. Will do boss man, I'll be posting every training day after surgery.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:35 AM

Update: I was cleared to lift 10lbs and under this upcoming week and then back to full blown lifting the week after (12th). I have decided for health and other reasons I will compete at 198 bare knees. I am attempting to set some state and potentially World Records in the Military Open division. My new goals are the following:

Squat: 507
Bench: 342-353
Deadlift: 507-551
Old 02-01-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoudidnt View Post
I lift at a shitty ass gym. They don't have any of that.
Buy your own shit with your bitcoin haul
Old 02-01-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Deezyzzl View Post
Buy your own shit with your bitcoin haul
I made a deadlift platform, bought 700lbs of Olympic plates and a Texas deadlift bar. I live in a condo on the 3rd floor. I have my platform at my parent's house along with a 45 degree back raise and a power rack. No space until I move to TN.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:01 PM

If you want something to help heal you up Check out Tb500 and BPC 157. Stuff helped my shoulder a hell of a lot.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgumby View Post
If you want something to help heal you up Check out Tb500 and BPC 157. Stuff helped my shoulder a hell of a lot.
BPC-157 and TB-500 is useless for a tonsillectomy, UPPP and throat reconstruction. HGH had me healed in 5 days.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:26 PM

Ok so I was told by my doctor that I could lift minor weight today. I have an appointment this Friday and next Friday. Today I hit 45 3x2 and 65x3 on squats. This Friday he should be clearing me to lift 135-225 on squat/DL and maybe the bar for benching. I will be doing DLs/Squats/Bench every 4 days or so until I start getting near my training weight in about 2 weeks. My current bodyweight upon wake up is 200.0! My goal is 195 by the end of the 2 weeks when I actually start my prep. I will be keeping my weight gain to about .8lbs per week will keep me around 204-207 before I have to water cut to 198. I will be updating every training session.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:07 PM

Today I pulled 135x3, I go to the doctor tomorrow and should be cleared to lift. I'm attempting 225x3 for 10 sets tomorrow, surgery permits.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:37 PM

Ok so my doctor fully cleared me to lift. I'm doing sumo this meet. Today I pulled 315 2x5, 365 2x5, 405x5, 455x1, 405x9.5! Strength is down, obviously because I lost 35lbs. I will be working on building up my squat and sumo volume for the next 6-8 weeks then I will switch to strength for the final 6-8 weeks of prep.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:23 PM

Today I did some squats. I hit an easy of 365 and 405 followed by a set of 225x21. My wife smashed her PR by hitting 135x9 and then 155x3.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 PM

Yesterday I worked up to a single of 455 hook grip and 495 with straps. I have bench in the morning and I'm working up to a heavy single. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:37 PM

Today I worked up to a heavy triple on bench with 295. All in all, it was an amazing day for my first bench day back. I then proceeded to hit a 500lbs sumo deadlift and an easy single squat of 415.
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM

I hit a 510 deadlift and 425 squat this weekend. Doing all out bench work on Monday and then Thursday is squats and leg day. Friday is grip and back accessory work.