Go Back   OutlawMuscle Forum > Training Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Training Forum Discuss anything related to training. Share your training strategy and technique.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:50 PM

Default Training with gym closures?

What are you guys doing? My gym finally got closed. I have this small room left in office building with some really shitty machines but better than nothing. I expect it to close soon. Dumbells are sold out everwhere and people price gouging for them. I have been reading on calisthenics which I guess i'll try if its all i got. I could get some bands and i have a plate carrier i can use as a weighted vest.

Steroidify
UGfreak
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Old 03-26-2020, 07:52 AM

40lb single dumbell for back bis and rear delts and tris. Pushups close and wide grip. Doing step ups on deck stair. Tried jogging, killing my knees so sticking to 5 mile walks. Leg lifts and crunches.
Sucks and i have everything to start cycle.
Dropped test down to 125mg/wk also
Old 03-26-2020, 03:25 PM
Euroking Sponsored Athlete ICFK

I purchased a squat rack and bench.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:19 PM

Thank heavens my buddy has a rack, 2 olympic bars, dumbbells up to 35s, an ez bar, adjustable bench and plates totaling 400 lbs

and i have strongman grippers
Old 03-27-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep115 View Post
What are you guys doing? My gym finally got closed. I have this small room left in office building with some really shitty machines but better than nothing. I expect it to close soon. Dumbells are sold out everwhere and people price gouging for them. I have been reading on calisthenics which I guess i'll try if its all i got. I could get some bands and i have a plate carrier i can use as a weighted vest.
I looked online for kettlebells, but they were fairly pricey.
I went on craigslist (houston), and there is a wholesale fitness store that sells EVERYTHING.

I got 4 sets of brand new kettle bells for $130.
Ive been using them everyday at a local athletic field. Wide open with natural grass fields, and turf fields

Im actually loving the change.

Youtube has a ton of workouts

Was he the greatest of all time? No idea, it's an impossible standard. Who cares? He was awesome, and that should be enough.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjutant View Post
I looked online for kettlebells, but they were fairly pricey.
I went on craigslist (houston), and there is a wholesale fitness store that sells EVERYTHING.

I got 4 sets of brand new kettle bells for $130.
Ive been using them everyday at a local athletic field. Wide open with natural grass fields, and turf fields

Im actually loving the change.

Youtube has a ton of workouts
Yea man I've been running bleachers and stuff at the local park here. It's been nice to be outside with decent weather. Maybe a change is what's needed!

Steroidify
UGfreak
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Old 03-28-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep115 View Post
Yea man I've been running bleachers and stuff at the local park here. It's been nice to be outside with decent weather. Maybe a change is what's needed!
Its been great because its a huge complex with all sorts of different fields.
There is almost no one there, so I can look like an uncoordinated meathead while learning how to do these kettle bell exercises

Was he the greatest of all time? No idea, it's an impossible standard. Who cares? He was awesome, and that should be enough.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:34 PM
Euroking Rep

Yes this is a major challenge… I have a very limited inventory of dumbbells at my house I don’t have any legitimate benches… I do have a mountain bike and the treadmill I have a spring chest expander and a spring bull worker and I’m pretty much just pumping up to keep things going until the gyms open again not exactly good timing since I’m about 12 weeks away from an NPC show

*No source is faster for safe secure pack arrival*

Last edited by Mack : 03-28-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:16 AM

FYI, if you guys live in a major city and have money... use offerup!

I bought 5-50lbs dumbbells with the original rack for $280 and sold the rack for $80! So I ended up paying $200 for all the dumbbells.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:17 AM

I was about to mention the same. All gyms got closed here and I got stuck at home with some dumbells, some rubber bands and my wife TRX looool Just figuring out how to continue my training.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:25 AM

It rained today here so I couldn't hit up the park and do cardio/core. I youtube'd p90x and did their cardio workout. That shit did me in, i remember making fun of that stuff back in the day. Just keeping it mixed up.

Steroidify
UGfreak
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Old 03-31-2020, 11:30 AM

I'll never question the value of my home gym again.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:27 AM
Euroking Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Deezyzzl View Post
My BIGGEST regret ..... ditching off all my home gym 6 years ago

Now today Iím scrambling and I have a bench but no bar and no weights

I have DBís and a pull up bar

Dude lives here prep for Jr USA is lucky he has gym at his place of employment

I saw him pumping gas and I pulled in and got gas too so I could talk to him as if I was stalking him lol

Desperate times, he didnít offer to let me in either lol

Old 04-01-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
My BIGGEST regret ..... ditching off all my home gym 6 years ago

Now today Iím scrambling and I have a bench but no bar and no weights

I have DBís and a pull up bar

Dude lives here prep for Jr USA is lucky he has gym at his place of employment

I saw him pumping gas and I pulled in and got gas too so I could talk to him as if I was stalking him lol

Desperate times, he didnít offer to let me in either lol
Yeah it'd be hard to just have to improvise.

You could get creative I guess

Depends on how heavy your dumbells are

Goblet squats, handstand pushups, feet elevated pushups, banded pushups, laterals, banded laterals, narrow grip pushups, curls, skull crushers, pullups, flies

Could spend time on mobility work too, no doubt some thoracic, hip and ankle work would make you feel better.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:38 PM
Euroking Rep

I just bought some very old school 1” plates

50# classics stamped made in NY from old RR ties

I’ve paid for 2 benches and a DB rack

I’m very close

I just need 50 to 100 pounds of 1” plates ad 1 more bar would be nice

I got an ez curl bar too

Got stuff from a retired 78 year old NPC judge by dumb luck on offer up

Old 04-01-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
I just bought some very old school 1Ē plates

50# classics stamped made in NY from old RR ties

Iíve paid for 2 benches and a DB rack

Iím very close

I just need 50 to 100 pounds of 1Ē plates ad 1 more bar would be nice

I got an ez curl bar too

Got stuff from a retired 78 year old NPC judge by dumb luck on offer up

Look at metal scrap yards. I bought 540lbs of 45s for $270 from my local metal yard.
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
Euroking Rep

Damn.

Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM

I was surprised, the newer Bowflex does pretty much most of everything. I've never used one before, and though the website was all sold out, I found an unused newer model on Facebook Marketplace for about half of the MSRP. I'll upgrade the rods to the 410lb and I should be all set.

I was first looking at the Hoist Mi7 with the smith machine, but with a squat rack/cage, good bench, some olympic bars, and plates, plus the Bowflex, I think I'll have the beginning of a pretty decent home setup for a quarter of the price.

And in about 6 months to a year when everyone starts selling off the home gyms they bought for this quarantine, I'll go ahead and expand with more variety.

In Honor of Jeff "His Grizzness" Gerlick
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
Euroking Rep

I got a brand new bench still in the box never opened

Now I got to put the damn thing together

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Deezyzzl View Post
I never had any desire to get a home gym. My neighbor has a well set up gym in his garage. I helped him hang his heavy bag. Bench, squat rack, dumbells.

I always thought it was crazy to work out at home. I like the routine of going to the gym. Socializing, getting pushed to do more. And, of course, the girls/women

I wish I had a home gym now

Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjutant View Post
I never had any desire to get a home gym. My neighbor has a well set up gym in his garage. I helped him hang his heavy bag. Bench, squat rack, dumbells.

I always thought it was crazy to work out at home. I like the routine of going to the gym. Socializing, getting pushed to do more. And, of course, the girls/women

I wish I had a home gym now
When I moved a couple years back I had to leave a really killer gym so decided to just put my own together. Figured I could be set for like $2000 or so, currently over $5500 invested and still adding...

It's funny, thought recently about getting a cheap membership for some variety and socializing with the bros, hadn't got around to it, now I guess it doesnt matter.
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM

went to walmart, bought a bosu ball, some bands, some ankle weights, and a few dumbbells. gonna focus on my core till the coronavirus is dispersed more. ive been ordered to do so by a physical therapist anyway...good for my bad back...
(and honestly, youd be very surprised to discover what it feels like to have a really thorough, proper core workout...i thought bosu balls and bands were for pussies for a long time...nah,,,the stuff my physical therapist had me doing with 5 lb dumbells and a bosu ball would have me doubled over and huffing and puffing after an hour...i felt like id done squats, no lie...the therapist was just laughing at me..lol...)....can do exercises like quarter squats/holds on a bosu ball, slow birddogs with dumbbells and ankle weights, one-legged dumbbell deadlifts, weighted marches, banded clams, glute bridges- banded and unbanded.. lots of planks, planks from a bosu, polloff press while on bosu...even been doing high rep pushups on a bosu..you have to engage your core and use a neutral spine if you can, while doing these exercises. google how to engage your core properly...its basically the flexing of the muscle you use to hold pee/aka a kegel...DO THESE EXERCISES FOR AN HOUR STRAIGHT AND THEN CALL ME A PUSSY...LOL..THEN LOOK ME IN THE EYE AND TELL ME YOURE NOT SORE THE NEXT DAY IN MUSCLES YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD..LOL

also bought some trx bands from walmart which I hung from my doors. (actually had a decent back workout the other day using those trx bands for high set/rep rows..wasnt expecting to be so sore...def allows for some interesting "angles", despite being a bodyweight exercise..i did 8-10 sets of 8-12 or something...focusing on form....anyhoo, i digress. )...

ive had the doorgym for a while for pullups (great product, available at walmart or online),,,gonna use the perfect pushup too(cool product too), along with regular pushups and high-rep incline pushups with my feet on an ottoman...hands on bosu, etc...

can superset Doorgym pullups with Perfect Pushup pushups, TRX band rows with pushups, etc...took a medium-resistance band the other day and did 200 band pullaparts after some TRX rows...stuff like that....just gotta get creative.

i figure between all this stuff, along with high rep free squats and weighted lunges which I can do around the house, I'll be able to keep my musculature, or possibly add to what I have...hey, finally got the time to prepare food and eat right..

**keep in mind, I am a semi-injured former athlete who has been ordered by my back doctor to refrain from doing certain exercises forever ..i.e. my days of heavy deads, stiff-legged deads, back squats, weighted good mornings, roman chair situps, heavy leg presses are virtually over...i dont want back surgery...

good luck, ladies and gents!! stay safe!!
Old Today, 02:13 AM

Default lucked out for now

guys i lucked out big time. im a bouncer at a drag bar (been there 6 yrs very very few problems great pay) so we been closed 3 weeks now....i get a call on tuesday it was one of the "girls" i work with...she gave me a number said call and you owe me big time i was like wtf.....so i called this number dude answered said this must be (my name) i said sure is he said i have a small gym nothing big but im renting it out in 90 min blocks one person at a time 25 bucks a visit i heard you would be interested i said hell yes.....worked out today place is nothing special couple racks pulldown stones ect....and i feel like im in golds venice lol....i booked mon wed fri till this is over
Old Today, 09:21 AM

If anyone is in South Florida and needs a place to train, let me know. I got enough equipment to make something happen.