Go Back   OutlawMuscle Forum > Training Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Training Forum Discuss anything related to training. Share your training strategy and technique.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:11 AM

Default Building leg muscles back after total knee replacements?

I had total knee replacements done 5 months ago and have been through rehab and now i need to build my legs and glutes back. Doc said just stay away from heavy squats.

Anybody else have this done and be able to build muscles back?

Im getting depressed cause they used to be muscular and strong but due to football injuries i had to have them replaced. And now they are small and weak.

Looking for best excersises to build them back up faster, cause its killing my mood to even work out anymore.
218lbs
Bf% ?

BULLMASTIFF is a fictional character and therefore all information given by BULLMASTIFF is for entertainment purposes only!!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:18 AM
Euroking Sponsored Athlete ICFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmastiff View Post
I had total knee replacements done 5 months ago and have been through rehab and now i need to build my legs and glutes back. Doc said just stay away from heavy squats.

Im getting depressed cause they used to be muscular and strong but due to football injuries i had to have them replaced. And now they are small and weak.

Looking for best excersises to build them back up faster, cause its killing my mood to even work out anymore.
Tip: Take your time and run a Deca cycle.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoudidnt View Post
Tip: Take your time and run a Deca cycle.
Always have issues with deca (deca dick)
218lbs
Bf% ?

BULLMASTIFF is a fictional character and therefore all information given by BULLMASTIFF is for entertainment purposes only!!
Old 03-12-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Always have issues with deca (deca dick)
Even with 75-100mg?
Old 03-13-2019, 01:29 PM

A good friend that was once a national record holder in the squat had both knees done 7 years ago...he is now 64...he started squatting asap...his knees are now almost shot...stick to high rep leg presses and stiff leg deadlifts.....
Old 07-16-2019, 04:09 PM
Inner Circle Friend of the King

Leg press did it for me. Had a major surgery to my right knee. Physical therapy mainly focused on leg presses at high rep sets. I had so much atrophy in my leg but I was able to build muscle sticking strictly to leg press
Old 07-16-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
A good friend that was once a national record holder in the squat had both knees done 7 years ago...he is now 64...he started squatting asap...his knees are now almost shot...stick to high rep leg presses and stiff leg deadlifts.....
Uh no, leg presses are terrible for your knees. Try Bulgarian split squats.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Uh no, leg presses are terrible for your knees. Try Bulgarian split squats.
Leg presses are fine! Just warm up first. Donít listen to this clown, he has no clue what heís talking about! The only time he squats is when he sits on his boyfriends face.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:24 PM

ROFLMAO !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddySwole View Post
Leg presses are fine! Just warm up first. Donít listen to this clown, he has no clue what heís talking about! The only time he squats is when he sits on his boyfriends face.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:58 AM

I have no idea what your range of motion is... so maybe this isn't the best advice...

Goblet squats and walking lunges. Do high reps (sets of 20). Maybe you'll get some size from the high rep work, maybe not. I don't know what your genetics are and what you respond to. But what those things should do is give you flexibility, stability, strength in every day movement and hopefully do well by you into your later years.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:43 AM

Leg sled for me. I dont have the ligaments to stabilize squatting anymore. Wasnt getting stronger. Leg sled i can move weight and its controlled. Both my knees need work. The right one more so. I have even stopped running on the treadmill and walk on an incline to cut down the daily pain.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Find a new doc.

Squats are very good for your knees as long as you do them right. I know a guy who was doing fairly low box squats with over 800 lbs in bar and chain weight (something like 550 weight + 250 in chains) in briefs and knee wraps about a year or so after having a knee replaced. He also handled something like 950 in a squat suit fine.

Just make sure whatever weight you are doing, you keep the knees in line with the toes, and also dont allow the knees to travel too far forward. Always work with an amount of weight that you know you can maintain perfect form with, any stop if there is any knee pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbskull21 View Post
Leg sled for me. I dont have the ligaments to stabilize squatting anymore. Wasnt getting stronger. Leg sled i can move weight and its controlled. Both my knees need work. The right one more so. I have even stopped running on the treadmill and walk on an incline to cut down the daily pain.
Sled work is great.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL711 View Post
Find a new doc.

Squats are very good for your knees as long as you do them right. I know a guy who was doing fairly low box squats with over 800 lbs in bar and chain weight (something like 550 weight + 250 in chains) in briefs and knee wraps about a year or so after having a knee replaced. He also handled something like 950 in a squat suit fine.

Just make sure whatever weight you are doing, you keep the knees in line with the toes, and also dont allow the knees to travel too far forward. Always work with an amount of weight that you know you can maintain perfect form with, any stop if there is any knee pain.

Sled work is great.
Knee traveling forward doesnít make them bad or dangerous...
Old 07-27-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Knee traveling forward doesnít make them bad or dangerous...
A little forward is fine, but if it goes too far forward it puts stress on the patellas. If someone has bad knees, this type of thing is more of a big deal.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:19 PM

whats your extension and flexion at? what degrees. within normal limits is 120 degrees flexion and 0 degrees extension. you can pretty much do any exercise, but proceed with higher rep/lower weight in beginning. strengthen the heck out of your VMO via terminal knee extensions