Go Back   OutlawMuscle Forum > Training Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Training Forum Discuss anything related to training. Share your training strategy and technique.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:08 PM

Default Let's talk Traps

So I guess what I'm doing isn't working for my traps very well. It's a clear weak point in my eyes. My shoulders overpower their shape and size and widens me out more. If I can get my traps up then it will give me a taller, denser look in my chest too.

I normally just hit 4-5 sets of DB shrugs on shoulder days and maybe a leg day here or there if I feel it. I feel like shoulder work ought to be enough on top of shrugs.

What do you do for traps? Do you need more volume to grow them, or do they grow on less work for you?
Old 06-09-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainstony View Post
So I guess what I'm doing isn't working for my traps very well. It's a clear weak point in my eyes. My shoulders overpower their shape and size and widens me out more. If I can get my traps up then it will give me a taller, denser look in my chest too.

I normally just hit 4-5 sets of DB shrugs on shoulder days and maybe a leg day here or there if I feel it. I feel like shoulder work ought to be enough on top of shrugs.

What do you do for traps? Do you need more volume to grow them, or do they grow on less work for you?
I don't isolate traps. Heavy ass deadlifts 2-3 times per week.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:07 PM

^^^^^what that guy said^^^^^
Old 06-11-2018, 06:07 AM
Euroking Rep

Heavy DB upright rows with a shortened range of motion at the bottom and top end; squeezing them
Www.euroking-gear.co
New Shipping Method No source is faster.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:29 PM

Deads yes but when i train em i feel since i use a narrow grip on deads the bigger/stronger they are the better comes of floor... I always had a hard time getting pumped or feeling shrugs...never got me sore... Did cleans and the next day I was sore traps for a week... They developed quickly doing them and now i got big traps and shrugs hit em well... Upright rows with close grip and face pulls help... Try shrugs thumbless , behind back , diff grips, of a rack or diff variations see wht feels best
Old 06-11-2018, 03:52 PM

Kelso's shrug book.Get it.Shit I need to find a pdf copy my self..
Old 06-11-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainstony View Post

I posted the same thread a few years ago. Was given same advice on deads. It worked big time. I think my issue was I was only doing shrugs really and I just got to the point they didn't work. 6 months of deads and they started responding to shrugs again. I found a video on YouTube a while back on shrugs and it basically said use shitty form. Swing up really hard on the upward, and on the downward, let the weight and momentum pull your traps down further for a bigger stretch. That seems more effective for me.. that and now I'll alternate rack pulls and farmers walks weekly. Super heavy farmers walks give them the best pump for me. My neck will be ready to explode

Edit: it never occurred to me that my dad has big traps. Always has. He hasn't lifted in 60 years. Then I remembered working with him when i was young. I'd try to carry 1 5 gallon bucket of glue and it would throw me off balance and be a bitch to carry. He would always tell me carry 2 to balance myself out . A bucket of glue in each hand, from the truck , up the stairs, to wherever ,and my traps would be on fucking fire. Made me realize why his were so big. Doing that daily for 40+ years. Hence me doing farmers walks now.

Sorry for the trip down memory lane lol

Last edited by bigbreads80 : 06-12-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:20 PM

Deadlift 5x5.

Amrap shrugs last rep of each set.

Profit.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:52 AM

I do traps on back traps biís day. I start out with deads, bent over barbell row, then if usually 3x6 heavy barbell shrugs or is im beat down 3 sets of 20-25 with 100 pound dumbells. Its the heaviest my gym has.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:02 PM

Never done a shrug in my life and my traps get noticed. Quickly. Deadlifts. Lateral raises. Front raises and hang mother fucking cleans.