Go Back   OutlawMuscle Forum > Nutrition Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Forum Discuss anything related to dieting and supplementation.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:57 PM

Default KETO Diet help.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]So , let me start off by , I haven't been around for a while, having my second knee surgery in 3 weeks , and being inactive, I am the heaviest I have been !!! Ugh.
My questions , I know some of you used to talk about ketosis/keto eating. I am old school , have always ate the traditional bodybuilder program (chicken breasts/egg whites/brown rice/sweet potatoes etc...) and have really never tried anything different. Until now =) !
Does anyone have any good info to share on this way of eating, besides just googling? examples-- good book/any trial&error you have done etc... I understand that interval fasting is also a part of this eating plan.
Do I keep fats or protein higher ? Also, does training need to change? I have become fond to the hit training, 1 body part per day. And what about cardio ??
Any help would be greatly appreciated , along with direction towards a good cook-book!!!!
I know Danny has been a promoter of this eating plan . /FONT]
Old 12-27-2018, 04:27 PM

I had great results with it! I consumed 1gr of protein per pound of bodyweight(or pretty close) and then got all other calories from fats. Carbs were so minimal I didnt even count them as long as under 35 grams a day.

Not sure I would train every day in weightloss unless some is just healthy state cardio. It works fast! Dont rely on ketone strips.

My diet was pretty much eggs, sausage, salami, cheese, chicken, and green leafy vegetables. Also ate a lot of avocados. You can also eat fatty meats like cheap ground beef. Probably not the healthiest approach but it sure worked. Stay away from alcohol and carbs for atleast a month. After a month eat carbs every 10 days at 1gr per 2.2lbs of body weight. Enjoy alcohol(spirits) responsibly but becareful you will get drunk quick

RoidsSeek
UGfreak
IA
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Old 12-27-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep115 View Post
I had great results with it! I consumed 1gr of protein per pound of bodyweight(or pretty close) and then got all other calories from fats. Carbs were so minimal I didnt even count them as long as under 35 grams a day.

Not sure I would train every day in weightloss unless some is just healthy state cardio. It works fast! Dont rely on ketone strips.

My diet was pretty much eggs, sausage, salami, cheese, chicken, and green leafy vegetables. Also ate a lot of avocados. You can also eat fatty meats like cheap ground beef. Probably not the healthiest approach but it sure worked. Stay away from alcohol and carbs for atleast a month. After a month eat carbs every 10 days at 1gr per 2.2lbs of body weight. Enjoy alcohol(spirits) responsibly but becareful you will get drunk quick
My wife did great on keto. She lost about 15lbs the first month and then enjoyed a low carb day every 2-3 weeks after.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:20 PM

Will keeping meats/protein lean work to the benefit, or should fats be higher?
I just went to the store , Mariano's has Prime NY Strips by 1 get 1 free !!!! Also , bought about 4 pounds of Filet's ,4 pounds of Ground Sirloin, Tilapia (I make Pecan-crusted Tilapia) a few filet's of Sea Bass , my favorite (so fricken expensive though) about 2 pounds of good cheeses , few dozen eggs , and for the love of God , LOTS OF BACON !!!! WWHHOOOOPPPEEE!!!
About those strips , never thought about them. I read that you will no you are in Ketosis when you get bad breath or if your pee smells strong . True ??
I did a 2 day fast prior to today , and this is my first day on the diet, and for some reason, my energy levels are through the roof. I'm sure it will not be the case after a few days of little to no carbs though.

Quote:

Old 12-27-2018, 08:30 PM

Keto makes your piss smell like death.

Keep your fats high as shit. If you’re cutting, keep your protein higher. (Depending on your size)
If you’re bulking, keep fats high as shit.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:28 AM

Yea your gonna have to have fats high to meet your caloric needs. You want to be in deficit but not starving your body. When I did it it pretty much came out to be like 65/70% fats and 30%protein.

I never go to high on protein but that's just personal preference because I've never had kidney bloodwork done to see if high protein is bad for me. To much protein can convert to glucose but pretty sure it would have to be an insane amount. Just keep protein in range of bodyweight and all rest from fats.

I felt great once in ketosis. The first week or two was little rough. People called me pissy at work

RoidsSeek
UGfreak
IA
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Old 12-29-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
The first week or two was little rough. People called me pissy at work
Yeah , I'm getting crabby on third day , but actually, down 8 pounds , al-be-it prob water weight.
Still researching , but nothing beats first-hand experience. Will keeping lean proteins as protein source have any adverse effect ? Or does eating fatty proteins work better ? (prime rib/several whole eggs/ etc..) My energy levels are all over the place . Is this drawback of starting this regime? And my sleep is all fuked up
Old 12-29-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFitDad View Post
Yeah , I'm getting crabby on third day , but actually, down 8 pounds , al-be-it prob water weight.
Still researching , but nothing beats first-hand experience. Will keeping lean proteins as protein source have any adverse effect ? Or does eating fatty proteins work better ? (prime rib/several whole eggs/ etc..) My energy levels are all over the place . Is this drawback of starting this regime? And my sleep is all fuked up
As long as you get your fats in it doesnt matter where so lean proteins is healthier. Then can get healthy fats. Theory behind it is to convert your body over to burning fat as energy so you dont want to be starved of fats. Once you reach ketosis the energy levels will come back and you'll probably have better cognitive function than before. You'll lose a lot of water weight quickly but gives motivation. I helped a few friends lose weight this last year and some didnt want to do keto so I had them do it for atleast a week to drop all water weight to help calculate caloric needs.

I chose fatty meats because it was cheap and I got to eat stuff that others couldn't and still lose weight. just not the healthiest approach.

RoidsSeek
UGfreak
IA
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Old 12-31-2018, 11:16 PM

To do keto properly you must keep about 65% of your caloric intake from fats. 10% carbs 25% protien.
This will seem unnatural for a body builder but if you do not get enough fat calories and you overdo it on the protien, your body will go through a process called gluconeogenesis where it will take protien and convert it into glucose.
So basically your body will literally convert the excess protein into carbs because it doesn't have wnough fat to burn as fuel and you will never enter a real solid long term state of ketosis.
This is the number one mistake in keto, you must go out of your way to consume more fats otherwise the entire process is counter productive.
There is a guy on youtube named Thomas Delauer who has some very solid science based videos on keto and gluconeogenesis. There are also a couple of keto bodybuilders goodybeats and jason whitrock who have good youtube channels with more bodybuilding centered keto info.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:

I choose to eat leaner protiens and add my own fats into my diet. It is my opinion that it is healthier long term this way because the fat of unhealthy animals isn't necessarily going to be soming I want in my body. But for all keto related purposes it really does not matter where your fats come from as long as you consume enough of them. Some people use the terms "lazy keto, and "dirty keto" dirty keto is basically when you eat anything as long as it falls in the macro range of 65%fat 25%protien 10%carbs. Things like porkskins, sausage, brats, fatty ground beef (grassfed excluded). I choose to eat those things very rarely because i just dont know the source of what exactly I am consuming but technically it wouldn't impact ketosis any different.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:38 PM

Also increasing your salt intake, preferably pink himalayan, to increase your mineral intake will help you feel better in the early stages, but is still important when you are in ketosis. As your body rids itself of glycogen your minerals are really depleted playing a role in that shitty feeling of converting over. I usually just have a really salty cup of bone broth once a day.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:19 AM

Here is a really informative video I ran accross this morning regarding some basic fundamentals
https://youtu.be/rrcvha5aMLU

Old 01-10-2019, 01:54 PM

7 days in , down 11 pounds , energy through the roof.
Got the KETO sticks, and every test is at top of sticks in color as far as Ketone levels.
Are these sticks fairly accurate? Since they are testing Ketone levels, I am assuming they are.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Got the KETO sticks, and every test is at top of sticks in color as far as Ketone levels.
Are these sticks fairly accurate? Since they are testing Ketone levels, I am assuming they are.
Not really. You will probably test real dark after you eat a really fatty meal or maybe right after an intense cardio/workout session. I wouldnt obsess over them to much. I found I always tested dark when I wake up and after gym.

RoidsSeek
UGfreak
IA
GBN
Direct
Euroking
Old 01-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Donating Member

Quote:
Not really. You will probably test real dark after you eat a really fatty meal or maybe right after an intense cardio/workout session. I wouldnt obsess over them to much. I found I always tested dark when I wake up and after gym.
They are pretty accurate.
The reason you might test dark after wake up and gym is that you have really very little carbs left after sleep and workout.

use them as a guide and not the rule.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:

They are accurate to see if you are in Ketosis but only if you are not taking an exogenous ketone supplement (which are useless.and a waste of money imo)
Also the urine strip just tests the ketones your body is not using and expelling.
When you start keto your body isn't efficient at using all the ketones it produces and you piss and shit them out.
If I go into ketosis long enough, but ive also been fat adapted for years, my urine strips will not test positive even though my blood will because my body is using almost every ketone it produces and not expelling them.
So i guess the answer is no they are not accurate for testing ketone levels and the color codes are meaningless in my opinion, however it is a very good indicator of being in ketosis when you begin. But after you have done it long enough you will just know, you.can even taste it in your breath when your body converts over.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:15 PM

FUCK KETO !!!!!

I initially lost about 11 pounds total , but felt like crap all the time.
Went back on traditional way that I've done in the past , chicken breasts, more chicken breasts, tuna,brown rice, sweet potatoes,egg whites,raw green veggies, etc.etc. and adding my own "good" fats.
Hey, was worth a try, seeing I've never tried it before.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
FUCK KETO !!!!!

I initially lost about 11 pounds total , but felt like crap all the time.
Went back on traditional way that I've done in the past , chicken breasts, more chicken breasts, tuna,brown rice, sweet potatoes,egg whites,raw green veggies, etc.etc. and adding my own "good" fats.
Hey, was worth a try, seeing I've never tried it before.
Since you reacted well initially, why not keto on the weekdays and refeed on the weekends? I did BodyOpus by the late, great Dan Duchaine and it did wonders for me back in the 90ís. I now loosely follow that protocol and it still works great.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:43 PM

Keto works very well for me. However I can't lift and run a keto diet. I'm weak, tired, and just shitty overall. Even cardio like road biking doesn't work. If you live by yourself it's not bad but if you have a SO and kids it's really hard to pull off since it's so strict.

If you can pull it off, try it. The first week or so is rough but it's not bad after that. Get some of the carb balance tortillas from Mission and use to make wraps or tacos/enchiladas etc. Carbquick is also good for fired chicken if you're into that. You can get that on amazon.

What I've found is timing carbs before and after my workout is what works for me. Keeping them between 100-150g per day is a nice balance. With keto, I can drop a ton of weight just by diet alone which might be perfect for your situation.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:10 PM

If protein and fats are high enough, i had no problems working 60+ hours a week and gym 5 days a week. But i am always on some sort of gear so that helps.
218lbs
Bf% ?

BULLMASTIFF is a fictional character and therefore all information given by BULLMASTIFF is for entertainment purposes only!!
Old 03-12-2019, 02:21 PM

Its been my experience keto seems to work great on those with higher BF levels, I really think there's much better diets out there for people under 15% bf.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromwell1234 View Post
Its been my experience keto seems to work great on those with higher BF levels, I really think there's much better diets out there for people under 15% bf.
I agree. It is a great place for a beginer in their fitness journey to start. Fast results equal more motivation. Plus ketosis really does give u a nice energy boost at first.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Since you reacted well initially, why not keto on the weekdays and refeed on the weekends? I did BodyOpus by the late, great Dan Duchaine and it did wonders for me back in the 90ís. I now loosely follow that protocol and it still works great.
Yes this works well it goes by different names 'the anabolic diet' or 'cyclical ketogenic diet'.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:56 AM

LOL at the guy who ate 1 gram of protein per pound of bw...that is not keto, that's just dumb.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:03 PM

http://www.outlawmuscle.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=159510 keto info